Food List for Hiking in the Grand Canyon
It is very important to eat well as we will be burning around 5000 – 7000 calories a day!
Individual Items (7 days, 6 nights)
- Steel–cut Instant Oats Variety Pack for Breakfast
Please purchase enough to eat two pouches during each breakfast for 7 days.
- Alternative Breakfast which I prefer: Instant Buckwheat with Dried Fruits. I add powdered goat milk and dandy blend powder. Delicious!
- 7: Dr. McDougall’s Soup Cups or Freeze Dried Soups in the bulk section (excellent at WholeFoods)
- 8: Pro Bars or similar (one for each day)
- 1: Summit Seeker Trail Mix
- 1: Powdered Peanut Butter
- 1: Dry cheese that is usually on display without refrigerator
- 1: small box of cookies and or other sweets
- 1: savory crackers / croutons
- 1: Powdered Hummus
- 3: small packs of Artisana coconut oil
- 3: Primal Strips Meatless Vegan Jerky-Variety Gift Pack Sampler; 12 Assorted 1 Ounce Strips delicious and nutritious vegan jerky! This is a great savory snack. If someone in the group does not wish to eat this, please let me know and I will change up the groups.
- TastyBite (optional if you’re adventurous due to heavy weight)
- Dried Fruit and Vegetables (also available at Traider’s Joe) Be sure to look at ingredients. Avoid sugars and other chemical and natural flavor additives that have no reason to be there. If you own a dehydrator, take advantage of it!Purchase those that do not have to be re-hydrated and can be eaten out of the pouch.In case, your body needs more, bring these optional freeze-dried meals:
- 1: Mountain House Standard Pouch, Mac ‘n Cheese
- 1: Backpacker’s Pantry Lasagna
- 1: Backpacker’s Pantry Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes
I do recommend to eat purely vegetarian during our hike together, however, if you must have at least some meat, consider having Fish Jerky to satisfy the craving. Otherwise, here are other Mountain House Varieties, Including Meat Products
- 1: Toothpaste: small, travel-size. (preferably natural, although will be spitting out into a plastic bag)
- 1: Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Soap 2oz.
- 1: Toilet Paper Roll
- 1: zip-lock bag for used toilet paper. (strict leave no trace policy)
- 2: Large Garbage Bags. One to wrap stored sleeping bag to protect against rain. Another to cover backpack.
- 2: Delicious Loafs of Bread
- 2: TruRoots Sprouted Bean Trio (or if that is not available, either TruRoots Sprouted Lentils or Mung Beans)